JOIN OUR FORUM!

Talk about anything and find out what other people think. Only as registered user you can start new topics and become part of our community.

Notifications
Clear all

GAS PRICES IN B.C.

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
VancityMan
(@vancityman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Can anyone tell me why we have to pay the highest gas prices in the country? I know that you will say the war but even before it prices in British Columbia were always the highest ones. Additionally, I have heard that we get most of our fuel from local refineries. I know that we have to pay the highest gasoline taxes in Canada and it has direct impact on the gas price.

Nick51
(@nick51)

Hello,

To answer your question i need to say that there are four main factors that make up the price of the gasoline: costs of crude oil, refining costs,
distribution and marketing costs, and finally taxes (including federal, provincial and municipal taxes). As the result of war in the Ukraine price of crude oil went up. As far as I remember it is around $110 per barrel.  It is quite high. Of course we have our own refineries and distribution, so there should be no problem there. However taxes on gas are pretty bad. For example in Vancouver people have to pay54 cents per liter in taxes. This is ridiculous.

Our BC government is pretty stubborn. Alberta for example reduced its taxes by 13 cents per liter on both gasoline and diesel. I really helped to reduce gas prices at pumps. BC on the other hand does not plan anything like that to help people.

On the bright side we get some money from ICBC to wipe away people's tears.

I hope it helps.

ReplyQuote
Share: