JOIN OUR FORUM!

Talk about anything and find out what other people think. Only as registered user you can start new topics and become part of our community.

Houseplants problem...

Notifications
Clear all

Houseplants problem - flies!!!

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
MiaZ
 MiaZ
(@miaz)
Topic starter  

Hello.

I have a problem with my houseplants. There are lots of tiny flies in the soil. They are very annoying and pesky. I bout a special spray in one of local nurseries but it does not really work. Do you know any other ways that would help me to get rid of these? I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

CrispR
(@crispr)
Eminent Member

Hello. I think you have a problem with Fungus Gnats. They are a fruit fly–sized insect pest that primarily affects indoor houseplants. Attracted to the moisture of potting soil, adult gnats lay their eggs (up to about 200) on organic matter near the soil surface. Fungus gnats seek out moist soil, so allowing your houseplants to dry out a bit between waterings can slow down or stop an infestation. I tried also a Hydroperoxide and water mixture that really helped with those, I used ratio 1 to 4 which was recommended to me by one of my friends working at a nursery.

I hope I helped.

ReplyQuote
Share: